Quick Reference — General Reference
Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Quotations, Etc.
Links to other web sites have been selected by our Reference Staff. The First Regional Library cannot vouch for the accuracy, currency, or appropriateness of any non-FRL web site.
- Information Please Almanac - The online version of the standard reference source adds a daily almanac, homework help, and a Kids Almanac.
- Old Farmers Almanac - Since 1792, this almanac has provided such useful information as tide tables, planting charts and weather predictions.
Countries of the World
- CIA World Factbook - This book is produced by the Central Intelligence Agency for the use of U.S. officials. The entries are arranged alphabetically (including countries, islands, oceans and regions), and include maps, statistics, and information on the government and the economy.
OneLook Dictionaries - Search many dictionaries at once.
yourDictionary.com - Dictionaries for 230+ languages.
www.wordnik.com Provides information about words, where they come from, what they mean, how to pronounce them, related words, examples, statistics, images from Flickr, and even how they were used in Twitter.
Dictionary.com - Definitions from Webster's and more
Encyclopedia For Kids - Fact Monster
Encyclopedia Comparisons - There are many subject encyclopedias on the web; some of them can be found under specific topics on this list.
- American Rhetoric This site includes an Online Speech Bank that indexes over 5,000 audio, video, and print speeches, sermons, interviews, etc. The site also links to the "Most Requested" speeches.
- bartleby.com - This site provides access to reference sources (i.e., Roget’s II: The New Thesaurus, Gray’s Anatomy, Strunk’s Elements of Style, etc.); and to poetry, nonfiction and fiction
- Librarians’ Index to the Internet - An annotated subject index to over 7500 Internet resources
- Spark Notes - Online study guides for major works of literature, periods of history, mathematics, and other topics
- Flag Etiquette
- Virtual Reference Shelf
INFO-LINK - Magnolia Project - Poetry, Genealogy, Magazines, Encyclopedias, Science Experiments and More.
Back to Quick Answers