First Regional Library & COVID-19: FAQ and Resources
While First Regional Library physical locations remain closed, library staff will continue providing as many digital services as possible for patrons. We’ve answered some commonly asked questions about this temporary transition in services below. Please be sure to share this information with friends, family and neighbors.
1. All library cards due to expire since March 9th and throughout the duration of the closure have been automatically extended. Existing library card holders should be able to proceed as usual with their online checkouts, downloads, etc. If you don’t have a library card yet, you can get one for immediate digital access using your phone number via our Overdrive service here.
2. All books normally due to be returned should remain with library patrons and SHOULD NOT be returned. Checkouts have been extended, and no fines will be issued during this time.
3. All items currently on hold will remain on hold until the library reopens. Holds WILL NOT expire during the closure period.
4. While all cards, due dates and holds have been extended, it’s possible you will receive an automated message from the system via email. Please disregard any overdue notices until we reopen to the public.
5. While we originally hoped to expand two existing FRL programs, books by mail and curbside pickup, to all our locations, based upon public health authorities’ guidance those efforts have been suspended until we can safely offer them to our communities.
5. Deposit collections of books at all community locations (such as nursing homes, daycares, preschools) will not have their regularly scheduled pickup and exchange of library materials at this time. The librarians who normally coordinate those collections with your organization will be in touch shortly after we reopen to schedule a new delivery.
6. For remote access to MAGNOLIA, the Statewide databases used by all public schools and universities in Mississippi, a code is required. Please email email@example.com with “Magnolia” as the subject line, and the access code will be emailed to you.
7. During this time, we have made some changes to our Overdrive digital service. These changes are detailed here.
8. WiFi is available in our parking lots. No login or password required. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if the WiFi isn’t working and we will do our best to get it fixed.
9. We have compiled a page of resources to help families enjoy reading and books from home.
If you have any questions about the library closure or about how to access library services during this time, please contact us at email@example.com.
For more information on the public health situation as it evolves, visit the Mississippi State Department of Health or the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency for more information. You may also call the Department of Health hotline at 877-978-6453.